At the Edge Hotel School not only do you study the theory to achieve a degree, you also work alongside hospitality professionals - putting your knowledge into context right away - helping to run Wivenhoe House, a real-life 4* hotel.
The courses are two-year accelerated degrees involving 45 weeks of study in the year with around six weeks of annual holiday. You can either study for a BA (Hons) Hotel Management, with start dates in September and February, or for a BA (Hons) Events Management with Hospitality with one intake per year in September.
Both BA (Hons) degree programms combine both professional experience with theory to provide you with the skills to become a successful leader. Your lecture weeks, led by the academic team, will encompass a variety of different formats, from traditional delivery, seminars and workshops to individual and group presentations, as well as professional activities. They enable you to explore and understand the relevant theory behind the experiences you will gain in each hotel operational rotation.
All of this will give you a head start in your career and set you apart from other graduates to become a leader in your field.
The Edge Hotel School is based in beautiful parkland on the University of Essex Colchester Campus, in Wivenhoe Park. Here you will have the best of both worlds - not only will you be graduating from a leading university - but you will also be developing your industry knowledge and professional skills at the same time. This is a student experience, and you will also benefit from living on campus, with access to all the University of Essex's resources and facilities.
All Edge Hotel School students are guaranteed accommodation on the University of Essex Colchester Campus for the duration of the course. You'll also receive a meal while you are on duty in the hotel. Edge Hotel School students live together and possibly with other University of Essex students on the North side of the Campus, just a few minutes' walk from both the hotel and the centre of campus. All options are subject to availability.
- North Towers have between 12 and 16 floors - with impressive panoramic views from the higher floors. Each flat houses between 13 to 16 residents. Most flats have a central kitchen/dining area with rooms on either side, in addition to shared showers and toilets.
- Wolfson Court is smaller and has views of the lakes to the rear. Each flat houses seven students and has a shared kitchen with dining area, shower and separate toilet facilities. Each room has a washbasin.
- The Houses are located in pleasant parkland and consist of three-storeys. Each flat houses 4 to 6 students, sharing a kitchen, and each room has its own en-suite shower and toilet facilities. Four of the houses include two rooms adapted for wheelchair users. There are also eight rooms with special alarm facilities for students with hearing difficulties.
Living cost Per year (Colchester - 39 weeks)
- Accommodation (single campus room for 2017 entry): £3,090 to £5,591
- Food: (at £30 - £50 per week) £1,170 - £1,950
- Books and stationery: £596
- Clothing, toiletries etc.: £484
- Local travel: £310
- Leisure / socialising: £995
- Miscellaneous eg mobile phone, insurance, healthcare, unexpected costs, emergencies: £918
- Total: £7,563 - £10,844