The Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (SSE Riga) is a business school in Riga, Latvia, founded in 1994 and over the years has acquired a reputation as the leading business school in the region. You don’t have to go far from home to study in one of the best Business Schools in Europe.
"By providing an education that is competitive at the European level, SSE Riga gives talented Baltic students an opportunity staying “at home” rather than going abroad for studies. Otherwise, the most talented might leave the region and once they have done that, it will be difficult to lure them back," says Anders Paalzow, SSE Riga Rector.
SSE Riga is a comparatively small school with a dynamic international learning environment where the majority of the courses are based on the case study method. It offers two accredited study programmes: a three-year Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business, and an Executive MBA - a two-year professional Master’s programme:
- 130 students every year are admitted to the Bachelor’s programme
- 20-30 students every year enrol in the Master’s programme
- In 2018 and 2019, the SSE Riga BSc study programme was ranked as the most valued business and economics study programme by employers in Latvia. The ranking was organised by the Latvian Confederation of Employers in cooperation with the career portal Prakse.lv.
- According to the Financial Times Ranking of Top European Business School in 2020, SSE group (Sweden, Russia, Latvia) is the #1 business school in the Nordic region.
- International environment
- Various options for a financial aid
- Hands-on education
- Excellent employment record
Bachelor: EUR 6,250 / year*
*All students from Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia benefit from a tuition fee waiver of EUR 2,100 reducing the tuition fee to EUR 4,150 per year.
Executive MBA (2-year programme): 33,000 EUR in one installment or 35,000 EUR in four installments of 8,750 EUR per semester.
Financial aid in SSE Riga
For Bachelor programme:
The ability to attend SSE Riga does not depend on the student's financial situation – the majority of SSE Riga students receive significant financial aid. SSE Riga offers a number of scholarships with scholarship funds coming from a variety of sources including SSE Riga, SSE Riga Foundation and the SSE Riga Alumni Association.
Please read about the various options of financial aid here
Currency: Euro (€)
For the most part, Riga is reasonably priced for students.
The city has a very convenient and inexpensive public transportation system – tram, trolleybus, bus (a ticket for one trip is around EUR 0,30 with student discount).
It is estimated that around EUR 550 – 650 is enough to cover necessities such as food, transportation, utilities and accommodation for a month.
Here are a few of the most significant monthly expenses according to students of SSE Riga:
- Shared accommodation costs (including gas and electricity) EUR 250
- Telephone/internet EUR 20
- Food EUR 200
- Entertainment, recreation, clothing EUR 90
- Public transport EUR 13
In total: EUR 573
SSE Riga Student Residence Hall
The dormitories are situated about 20 minutes by bus from SSE Riga and are for SSE Riga students only. The price ranges from 120 - 220 EUR per month, with the price including all utilities: electricity, heat, hot water, wifi internet.
When to Apply (Autumn 2021)
Bachelor programme - apply by April 25, 2021.
Executive MBA - applications are accepted on a rolling basis up to August 20, 2021.
Welcome to Latvia
Latvia, the pearl of the Baltic States, is one of the European Union member states and is situated in the North of Europe – on the shores of the Baltic Sea. Since ancient times Latvia has been at the cross-roads between East and West, North and South. Therefore, Latvia is a multi-cultured state, where the traditions of all these countries have merged, creating a unique environment, the like of which is not to be found anywhere in the world.
Latvia's capital city Riga has an ancient history and rich cultural heritage. As Riga has always been located at a juncture of trading routes, it is a multicultural city which means there are things to see there. Riga has been named a UNESCO World Heritage Site thanks to the collection of art nouveau buildings that is one of the largest in the world, as well as a city in whose architecture the entire history from 1201 to the present day is reflected
Placed in North Eastern Europe, by the Baltic Sea, Latvia has always been a multi-ethnic country and rich in different cultural and education traditions and sees its role as a bridge between the East and the West. The higher education institutions in Latvia are members of international cooperation within many different fields of study
Advantages - why study in Latvia?
- Tuition fees and living costs are generally lower than the costs in most "Western Countries".
- EU membership means that a degree from Latvia is equivalent to other EU countries, making it easier to get credentials recognized.
- You will have all the benefits of living in a European country with lower costs than many westernized EU nations.
- The capital of Latvia, Rīga, is an attractive, lively, cosmopolitan city, but less expensive than many other Western European capitals.
Riga is also a very safe city compared to other cities in Europe.
Latvia ranks high on the Global Peace Index as a country with low crime rates, a stable political scene and no big natural disasters.
Interested? To learn more about the university, your study options, entry requirements and application process, please contact one of our consultants in a country nearest to you.